Happy Valentines Day!
As we noted in our last blog, holidays can pose many hazards for our pets. Valentine’s Day is no exception.
Here are a few Valentine’s Day hazards to avoid to ensure you and your pet have a safe and stress-free holiday…
Lilies: If you are giving or receiving flowers for Valentine’s Day, beware that lilies can be extremely toxic to cats. Please keep cats away from lilies!
Chocolate: A Valentine’s Day staple, chocolate is toxic to pets. Please do not allow your pet access to chocolate. Any sweets sweetened with xylitol are also toxic to pets. If your pet does ingest chocolate or xylitol, please contact us immediately or call the ASPCA animal poison control center: 888-426-4435.
Ribbon: If you are unwrapping gifts, dispose of any wrappings promptly, especially ribbon. Ribbon can cause dangerous intestinal blockages.
Candles: Romantic candlelight can be a big hazard to animals if they get too close. Pets can burn themselves or cause fires if left unattended with candles.
It is our pleasure to serve you and your pets. Please do not hesitate to call our offices (708-383-3606) if you have any questions or concerns. Thank you for allowing us to be a part of your veterinary healthcare team.