Our Hospital Is Open For Entry! Masks Are Now Optional To Wear In The Building. Thank You

Starting June 22nd, our Wednesday hours will be: 8am – 12pm, 1pm – 6pm 

Call us: 708-383-3606 | Get Directions | After Hour Emergencies: 773-281-7110

Have a Healthy and Happy Holiday Season - Avoid These Pet Holiday Hazards!


The holidays should be full of good cheer, not stressful visits to the vet.  Don’t let a pet emergency ruin your holiday season.  Below are a list of holiday pet hazards to avoid this holiday season.

Table scraps: Avoid feeding your pet table scraps during holiday celebrations.  Some foods can be toxic to pets, like chocolate, onions, garlic, raisins and grapes.  Other foods can be too rich for your pet and can lead to pancreatitis.  Any foods offered to pets outside of their normal diet have the potential to lead to indigestion, vomiting and diarrhea.

Yeast Dough: If you are baking bread this holiday season, make sure you let it rise out of reach of your pets.  If ingested it can cause painful gas, deadly bloat and even alcohol poisoning.

Xylitol:  Ingestion of xylitol, an artificial sweetener commonly found in chewing gum, candy and baked goods, can be life threatening to dogs.  Be sure to keep any xylitol containing products away from pets.

Holiday Plants: If you have a pet and are considering decking your halls with boughs of holly, you may have to reconsider.  Holiday plants like holly, poinsettias, amaryllis, mistletoe, lilies, balsam, pine and cedar may be hazardous to your pet if ingested.

Christmas tree: Toppling Christmas trees can pose a threat to curious pets.  If you have a Christmas tree make sure it is well secured so that any attempts by your pets to climb the tree or play with ornaments do not result in a dangerous falling tree.  Additionally, don’t let your pet eat pine needles, chew on light cords or drink from Christmas tree water.  Stagnant water and water additives for the tree can be hazardous to your pet if ingested.

Holiday Decorations: Holiday decorations can appear like fun new toys to some pets.  Beware of glass ornaments that may shatter and cause injuries to vulnerable paws.  If ingested, some decorations, especially tinsel, can cause dangerous intestinal blockages.  Homemade ornaments made from salt-dough or other food-based materials can also be hazardous.

Please take appropriate precautions to keep your pet safe this holiday season.  If you have any holiday safety concerns, please do not hesitate to call us.

If you are concerned that your pet may have ingested something toxic, please call our offices (708-383-3606) or contact the ASPCA Poison Control Center 888-426-4435.

Also, consider visiting the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) Holiday Pet Safety web page, AVAMA Pet Holiday Safety , which has extensive tips and information to keep your pets safe this holiday season.

It is our pleasure to serve you and your pets. Please do not hesitate to call our offices (708-383-3606) if you have any questions or concerns. Thank you for allowing us to be a part of your veterinary healthcare team.


Contact Us

Carlson Animal Hospital


414 Lake St. Oak Park, IL 60302

Clinic Hours

Monday-Tuesday: 8 AM-12 PM, 1-6 PM Wednesday: 8 AM-12 PM, 1 PM-6 PM Thursday-Friday: 8 AM-12 PM, 1-5 PM Saturday: 8 AM-1 PM Sunday: Closed